By David R. Black
Test your knowledge of DC trivia! The challenge is designed so that it (hopefully) has both easy and difficult questions which require knowledge about a variety of characters, places, etc. in the DCU.
Answer the following fifty questions by choosing the best answer or filling in the blank. To do the bonus cryptogram at the end, you'll need to crack the code (an example is provided, so don't worry if you don't understand. Answers are provided at the end, so no fair peeking!
1) Olympic athletes are awarded gold, silver and bronze medals. Name three DC characters (one of each) who have the word gold, silver or bronze in their name. No fair using the Metal Men as answers!
2) The traitorous New Teen Titan Terra is from what fictional European country?
a) Moldova b) Markovia c) Vlatlava d) Modora
3) Pre-Crisis, what did blue kryptonite do?
a) Rob Kryptonians of their powers permanently
b) Kill any form of plant life
c) Allow the Phantom Zone Criminals to mentally attack Superman
d) Weaken Bizarro in a manner similar to green kryptonite's effects on Superman
4) What character was not created by Keith Giffen?
a) Vext b) Ambush Bug c)The Creeper d) G'nort
5) What group of villains murdered the original Doom Patrol?
of Evil b) The Fearsome Five
The Injustice Society
6) Name two of the three villains who have received their own ongoing series.
7) Jerry Siegel and Joe Schuster, Superman's creators, went to high school together in what city?
a) Boston, MA b) St. Louis, MO c) Metropolis, NY d) Cleveland, OH
8) Cosmic Boy (Rokk Krin's) brother is also a Legionnaire. What's his code name?
a) Braalian Boy b) Magnetic Kid c) Color Kid d) Sun Boy
9) Homer Glint, Karel Sorensen, and Rick Purvis are members of the space faring group known as?
a) Star Rovers b) Planeteers c) Knights of the Galaxy d) L.E.G.I.O.N.
10) The mother of the undersea heroine known as Deep Blue/Indigo is?
a) Dolphin b) Mera c) Tsunami d) Judy Walton (of the Sea Devils)
11) The goddess to whom Starfire (Koriand'r) always swears to is?
a) J'emm b) X'hal c) Venus d) Kalista
12) The Green Lantern who failed to prevent Krypton's destruction was?
a) Tomar-Re b) Alan Scott c) Hal Jordan d) Waverly Sayre
13) What villain was responsible for causing Barbara Gordon's paralysis?
a) Two Face b) Deadshot c) Bane d) The Joker
14) At one point, how was Starman Ted Knight related to Arn "Iron" Munro? Ted was Arn's ____
a) brother in-law b) stepfather c) cousin in-law d) uncle
15) How is Rip Hunter, Time Master, related to Dan Hunter (Tomahawk's sidekick)? Rip is Dan's ____
a) brother b) cousin c) great great great grandson
d) great great great grandnephew
16) For the old time JLA fans: The Spirit King killed the original Mr. Terrific during a JLA/JSA team-up. Whose body did he possess to do so?
a) Superman b) Flash (Jay Garrick) c) Flash (Barry Allen) d) Black Canary
17) Pre Zero Hour, Gemworld left its dimensional plane to become a planet in the 30th century. What was the planet's name?
a) Zerox b) Naltor c) Tharn d) Braal
18) What 1940's hero lives in the same apartment building as Dick Grayson (Nightwing)?
a) Daniel Dunbar (Dan the Dyna-Mite) b) Happy Terrill (The Ray)
c) Ted Grant (Wildcat) d) Jon Law (Tarantula)
19) What type of Justice League never existed?
a) Justice League America b) Justice League Antarctica
c) Justice League Europe d) Justice League Africa
20) As Kid Flash, Wally West protected Blue Valley, Nebraska. Who protects Blue Valley now?
a) Michael Hutchison b) Star Spangled Kid II c) The Secret d) Impulse
21) The Teen Titan Damage is legally forbidden to set foot in which U.S. state?
a) Georgia b) Florida c) South Carolina d) Delaware
22) The name of Metropolis' maximum security prison is?
a) Blackgate Prison b) Belle Reve c) The Slab d) Stryker's Island
23) Batman used to be a member of which team?
a) Global Guardians b) Gotham Knights c) Outsiders d) Teen Titans
24) Another name for the Seven Soldiers of Victory is?
a) Law's Legionnaires b) Infinity, Inc. c) Super Squad d) Junior Justice Society
25) Name the long time Green Arrow writer who also created the Warlord.
a) Chuck Dixon b) Len Wein c) Mike Grell d) Mike W. Barr
26) Pre Zero Hour, what was the name of the thug who killed Batman's parents?
a) E. Nigma b) Joe Chill c) Thomas Blake d) Julian Day
27) Name 4 people whom Superman/Clark Kent knows whose initials are L.L.
28) Orion, Barda, and Mister Miracle have all been members of the Justice League at one point. What other New God was briefly a member of the league?
a) Metron b) Lightray c) Forager d) Mark Moonrider
29) Which of the following women is not a member of the Female Furies?
a) Lashina b) Bernadeth c) Stompa d) Amazing Grace
30) DC's first sword and sorcery character was?
a) The Warlord b) Nightmaster c) Claw the Unconquered d) Arak
31) Kyle Rayner received his Green lantern ring from?
a) Hal Jordan b) Appa Ali Apsa c) Ganthet d) A Crackerjackã box
32) Which speedster is affectionately known as the "Zen guru of speed" by his peers?
a) Jay Garrick b) Max Mercury c) Wally West d) Johnny Chambers
33) What Teen Titan is capable of creating solid energy objects, much like Green Lantern, but silver in color?
a) Argent b) Prysm c) Mal Duncan d) Arsenal
34) Which of the following New Blood characters did not have their own ongoing series at some point?
a) Hitman b) Anima c) Gunfire d) Ballistic
35) What was the name of Star Hawkins' robotic secretary?
a) Automan b) Ilda c) S.T.R.I.P.E. d) Gernsback
36) In the DCU, rock musician David Bowie's 1970 hit song "Starman" was supposedly inspired by which Starman?
a) Ted Knight b) Gavyn c) Mikaal Thomas d) The Starman of 1951
37) Cameron Chase works for the?
a) F.B.I. b) Secret Service c) L.A.W. d) D.E.O.
38) Which of the following characters did not receive their own ongoing series after a tryout in the 1960's-1970's version of Showcase Comics?
a) Enemy Ace b) Bat Lash c) Sea Devils d) Inferior Five
39) Wonder Woman is the Amazon's ambassador of _____ to man's world?
a) Beauty b) Peace c) Prosperity d) Can't we all just get along?
40) The western heroine Madame .44 married what other western hero?
a) Nighthawk b) Jonah Hex c) Johnny Thunder, lawman d) Bat Lash
41) The new Batgirl is?
a) blind b)
deaf c) mute
42) Swamp Thing is Earth's plant elemental, and Red Tornado is the air elemental. Who is the water elemental?
a) Firestorm b) Neptune Perkins c) Tempest d) Naiad
43) After getting his powers "pumped up" by Neron in Underworld Unleashed, the Batman villain formerly known as Killer Moth changed his name to?
a) Charaxes b) Killer Elite c) The Wrath d) Mothball Man
44) Which of the following villains is not an immortal?
a) Vandal Savage b) The Parasite c) The Shade d) Ra's al Ghul
45) Before the Zero Hour reboot, Tenzil Kem was the Legionnaire known as Matter-Eater Lad. After the reboot, Tenzil was re-introduced as the Legion's _________?
to Bismoll b) Science Police liaison
46) Aquaman's _______ hand was destroyed and replaced by a hook
a) right b)
left c) third (it's an Atlantean
47) In the Tangent Comics skip week events, which of the JLA's "Big Seven" (in the regular DCU), did not have a title named for them?
a) Martian Manhunter b) Wonder Woman c) Flash d) Batman
48) Cameron Chase once said "Never trust a man with two first names" (Chase #8). Name six DC characters (male or female) who have two first names, meaning one as a first name, and one as a last name. (For example; John Wayne, Peter David, etc.)
49) Which of the following is not a private investigator/detective?
a) Nathaniel Dusk b) Jonni Thunder c) Roy Raymond d) Paula Brooks
50) When Adam Strange gets zapped by the Zeta beam, he ends up on which planet?
a) New Genesis b) Rann c) Oa d) Thanagar
Cryptogram Instructions and Example:
Crack the code to reveal a quotation by a DC character. Each letter in the cryptogram represents another letter, and the word(s) after the hyphen is the person's name who said the quote. For example,
"QS, QS, LIG LPLX!" - FQSNBHLI becomes
"UP, UP, AND AWAY!" - SUPERMAN when unscrambled.
Got it? Q really stands for U, S stands for P, and so on. Now try it for real, and be warned, the new encryption is not the same as in the example.
"RJ'I XBFFO; ICTY ILO JALJ JAY IBKYQAYQCYI LQY JAY FYEJ IJLSY RF ABTLF
YMCZBJRCF, OYJ YMYQO JRTY GY TYYJ, LZZ GY IYYT JC UC RI XRSAJ CFY LFCJAYQ. RX JALJ'I JAY XBJBQY, RJ UCYIF'J ZCCD JCC PQRSAJ JC TY."
-- TRDY TLEGYZZ
1) Gold - Booster Gold, Golden Gladiator, Golden Glider, Goldface, Goldstar.
Silver - Silver Banshee, Silver Ghost, Silver Scarab, Silver Swan,
Bronze - Bronze Tiger
There may be more correct answers in addition to those listed here.
2) B. Terra was from Markovia
3) D. Blue K only affected Bizarros
4) C. Steve Ditko created the Creeper
5) A. The Brotherhood of Evil - specifically Madame Rogue and Captain Zahl
6) Eclipso, Kobra, and the Joker
7) D. Cleveland, Ohio
8) B. Magnetic Kid
9) A. Star Rovers
10) C. Tsunami
11) B. X'hal
12) A. Tomar-Re
13) D. The Joker
14) C. Cousin in-law. Munro was briefly married to Sandra Knight (Phantom Lady), Ted's cousin.
15) B. Cousin. Dan went back in time and decided to stay there.
16) B. Flash (Jay Garrick)
17) A. Zerox.
18) D. Jon Law (Tarantula)
19) D. Justice League Africa
20) B. Star Spangled Kid II
21) A. Georgia. Damage blew up Atlanta.
22) D. Stryker's Island
23) C. Outsiders
24) A. Law's Legionnaires
25) C. Mike Grell
26) B. Joe Chill
27) Lois Lane, Lana Lang, Lex Luthor, Lori Lemaris, Lucy Lane (Lois' sister), Liri Lee (of the Linear Men). If you're thinking pre-crisis, Lightning Lad and Lightning Lass would also count.
28) B. Lightray He was in the Giffen-era league
29) D. Amazing Grace
30) B. Nightmaster
31) C. Ganthet. Just kidding about the crackerjack box!
32) B. Max Mercury
33) A. Argent
34) D. Ballistic
35) B. Ilda
36) C. Mikaal Thomas
37) D. DEO
38) A. Enemy Ace
39) B. Peace
40) C. Johnny Thunder, Lawman
41) C. Mute
42) D. Naiad
43) A. Charaxes
44) B. The Parasite
45) C. Cook/bartender
46) B. Right. Although, sometimes I feel like it depends on the artist ..
47) A. Martain Manhunter. Neither did Aquaman, if anybody's keeping score.
48) Oh boy! There are a lot of these. Here goes, in no particular order;
Clark Kent, Bruce Wayne, Alan Scott, Barry Allen, Hal Jordan, Donna Troy, Rex Tyler (Hourman), John Stewart (ex-GL and Darkstar), Ted Grant (Wildcat), Michael Jon Carter (Booster Gold), Paul Kirk (Manhunter), Joan Dale (Miss America), Ronnie Raymond (Firestorm), Nathaniel Adam (Captain Atom), Bart Allen (Impulse), Le Travis (Crimson Avenger), Dave Clark (Midnight), Jason Todd (Robin II), Paul Dennis (Robotman I), Justin Arthur (Shining Knight), Travis Morgan (Warlord), Mikaal Thomas (Starman), Lyta Trevor (Fury), Tex N. Thomas (TNT), and the list could go on and on and on ..
49) D. Paula Brooks. She's the Tigress
50) B. Rann
Cryptogram: "It's funny; some say that the superheroes are the next stage in evolution, yet every time we met, all we seem to do is fight one another. If that's the future, it doesn't look too bright to me."
Mike Maxwell used to be the hero known as B'wana Beast, and he said this quotation to Animal Man in Animal Man #13.
All characters are DC Comics
This column is © 2000 by David R. Black
Fanzing Challenge logo by Benjamin Grose
David R. Black is Fanzing.com's magazine editor and chief archivist. A big fan of "The Warlord," he has a cat named Shakira and is looking for a girlfriend named Tara....
All characters are DC Comics
This piece is © 2002 by the author listed above.
Fanzing is not associated with DC Comics.
All DC Comics characters, trademarks and images (where used) are DC Comics, Inc.
DC characters are used here in fan art and fiction in accordance with their generous "fair use" policies.
Fanzing site version 7.4